Summer is just around the corner, and we can’t wait! Here is a quick list of things to accomplish around your home this Spring so you can soak up as much summer sun as possible.
- Open your crawl space vents outside at the foundation.
- Remove lint from the dryer exhaust vent with a long brush or vacuum attachment.
- Check your plants, shrubs, and trees around the house. Make sure they are pruned back away from the house. Foliage that touches your home leads to excessive moisture and creates an easy path for ants and other unwanted insects on your siding.
- Keep your cooling systems running smoothly. Before hot weather sets in, change your air filters and schedule maintenance for your cooling system. Also, dust ceiling fans, clean portable fans, and install window air conditioning units if needed. We also suggest adding curtains to windows to help keep the cool air in and hot air out.
- Clear debris form your gutters and downspouts.
- Treat your home for insects. There are several good products that you can apply yourself or hire a pest control company to do it for you.
- If your home has a wooden deck look for loose hand railing, split or decaying wood, and loose or missing hardware/connectors. Also look closely for signs of rot, insects, and water damage which is especially common where the deck meets your home.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are functioning properly. Replace any batteries or units as needed and set a reminder to test them again in 30-days. It’s also a good idea to periodically check for recalls of your home safety products; you can find up-to-date listings at Recalls.gov. Remember smoke detectors only have a 10-year lifespan – when in doubt, change them out!
And one last final reminder, if you plan to do any digging in your yard, please call 811 to have your utilities located and marked BEFORE you dig. This is a free service that will help keep you and your family safe.
We hope this list is helpful for you to help keep your home as happy as you are! If we don’t chat soon, we hope you and your family have a wonderful summer filled with fun memories!